
I remember the first time, I met my best friend Liz. We were on a class trip to Beluxi, Mississippi. She agreed to let me ride with her from Augusta, which is a three hour drive. We talked about random stuff, like the weather, music, politics, and religion. She was very nice, which is odd cause all the Caucasians, I met thus far were arrogant and mean for no reason. I had limited contact with them other than my professors at school and a few were in my classes. I went to predominately black schools all my life. So, I already had my preconceived notions when I first met Liz.
To my surprise, Liz was very nice, courteous, complimenting, and had a beautiful personality. She was way different than my black friends. First of all, we went all the way to Biluxi and when I offered to pay for gas, she said "Its OK, we going the same way" I have to give my black friends money to go three blocks, let along a two hour drive.
So we got to the room, and the room was nice. It was right next to the ocean with a beautiful view. All I could think was, my boyfriend and I must come back here one day. This place is very romantic and cleaner than I thought.
The next day was the first day of the conference. I realized I left my lotion back home. She was in the bathroom doing her hair, when I asked
" Liz, do you have any lotion, because I am ashy"
Liz: Your what??
Me: I am ashy, you know my skin is crusty and white"
Liz(laughing): your white? No, your still the same color you were when you went to bed
Me: No, I'm ashy. See
I showed her my skin and said "See, it looks white and crusty"
Liz: White and crusty??
She looked to be thinking for a minute and said "OH, your scaly"
Me: Scaly? No girl, I'm Ashy
She went into her bag and gave me some lotion.
Liz: Why do you call it ashy?
Me: Its just something black people say to mean "scaly" Don't you get Ashy?
Liz (laughing): I'm already white and crusty!! Cant get any more!! But I do get scaly in the winter months.
Me: I get ashy every time, I get out of the bath!! I need lotion, like a crackhead needs Crack. I hate being Ashy!
We laughed.
From that moment on, I knew I have found a life long friend. She is so funny and we crack each other up all the time. Mostly over our precieved differences. But, it did not take long for us to realize, we are more alike than different. Similar worries about life, goals, values, core religiour principles. I am very blessed to have learned this lesson, not to judge a book by its color.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
When Cultures Collide
Posted by Chandra01 at 1:37 AM
Labels: Random Silliness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Good post- 2 of my best friends are white and we've had our moments like this :o)
Post a Comment