BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 23, 2009

Mother to Son


We had to learn this in Third Grade. This is

one of my Favorites. Sometimes we have to look back, in order to look forward. But no Matter, what we have to keep on climbing! I love this Poem



Well, son, I'll tell you:

Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

It's had tacks in it,

And splinters,

And boards torn up,

And places with no carpet on the floor --Bare.

But all the timeI'se been a-climbin' on,

And reachin' landin's,

And turnin' corners,

And sometimes goin' in the dark

Where there ain't been no light.

So boy, don't you turn back.

Don't you set down on the steps'

Cause you finds it's kinder hard.

Don't you fall now --For I'se still goin', honey,

I'se still climbin',

And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.


Langston Hughes
(1902-1967)

3 comments:

hotredsly said...

true words so true

Young woman on a journey said...

haha. yo...i learned this in elementary school as well. did you happen to go to a black school? i went to a black private one...that where my militancy began!

Chandra01 said...

yup, inner city black public school.. I was soooo nervous because I had to get INFRONT of everyone and recite it by HEART